Supernatural, unearthly, alien, unworldly, mystical, the shadow world, the netherworld—call it what you will, we all believe in the existence of some other place—a location where other things outside our understanding exist.
Don’t pretend you don’t believe. Everyone has a ghost story. Everyone can share a spooky event, experiences déjà vu, or remembers having a creepy feeling.
Is it our sixth sense? Our empathic skills? The other world breaking into our own?
We love the unknown—and if I listed all of the novels, books, TV shows, films, documentaries, and YouTube clips about this other world this blog would be 1000 pages long!
Here’s a few loaded concepts!
- Faith. Religion.Mysticism. Spirituality
- Existentialism- existence precedes essence (????)
- Transcendentalism -power of thought
- Metaphysics- study of being and the world
- Nihilism-reality does not exist
Brain hurt yet? Of course it does! Try as we might, we cannot comprehend our own world, let alone some other world.Now science is making some amazing discoveries about Dark Matter.They attribute this dark energy to all kinds of cosmic and (as yet) explainable events.
Will science soon be able to validate our most beloved myths?
And might this Dark Matter explain myths that stretch back thousands of years? It makes one wonder, why does every culture and religions contain so much otherness. It must be real. But where do we draw the line between cherished belief and fantastic myth?
We scoff at unrealistic mythological creatures like unicorns, dragons, werewolfs, zombies, or vampires, but we do believe in angels ( especially guardian angels), demons, and ghosts!
Angles are sacred in our judeo-christian culture!
For example: St. Ambrose lists 9 different classification for angels:
- 1. Seraphim– highest order, near God’s throne, there’s 4 of them
- 2.Cheribum-large, winged creatures, many different descriptions
- 3. Dominations-manage the other angels’ duties
- 4. Thrones-they have lots of eyes
- 5. Principalities– usually the protectors of religions
- 6. Powers-guards who stop the demons from taking over
- 7. Virtues-the miracle workers
- 8. Archangels-above the regular angels. Two major players are Michael and Gabriel
- 9. Angels (standard issue)- messengers
Our universe is infinite and unknowable—it’s no wonder we are amazed by the supernatural and paranormal.
I would love for you to share your supernatural story!
At a time when recent theories like Quantum physics confirms the existence of the fantastical, The Merkabah Recruit and The Merkabah Deception explore the shadowy line between treasured legend and scientific possibility–a series where myth, history, and science collide.
Related links: Engaging Enigmas