This is part 2 of the Archetype blogs.
Here’s a list of 8 female hero archetypes.
Remember an archetype is defined as a consistent pattern, model or image that recurs so often in life and literature, it is deemed universal !
- Boss: She’s a take charge kinda gal and tolerates nothing less than R–E–S–P–E–C–T! She’s goal-driven, can-do, get-outta-my way hero!
- Survivor: This gal is often mysterious and devious. Manipulation is her middle name. A tough life made her a survivor. Think Scarlet O’Hara, “As god is my witness, I’ll never go hungry again!”
- Free Spirit: Original and playful, this gal may go off on a whim and follow her heart, but her intentions are good–if not unconventional. She means well, but things don’t often go as planned–leaving a trail of misdeeds, mess-ups, and mayhem. Lucille Ball played this role to a T.
- Spunky Kid: Not really a kid, this younger female is all the rage in modern novels! She has tons of friends, is always ready to help out, and is a great member of the team. She may not win Most valuable Player of the Year, but she does find her own place in the world.
- Librarian: So damn sexy under that buttoned-up blouse, nerdy glasses, and up-do! She’s a brainy chick and proud of it. This hero thinks she has the answers–and probably does–but tends to be opinionated and stubborn. Willow in Buffy The Vampire Slayer or Evie from The Mummy are film examples.
- Waif: A favorite of older Disney movies, this is the quintessential Damsel in Distress. She’s a hero who must be rescued—by a “Prince,” of course. Even if she is not innocent, she has an air of innocence about her.
- Nurturer: Mom as hero! This efficient, optimistic woman takes care of everyone, and sets them on the right path! Often, she is portrays as peaceful and composed. Think: Mary Poppins.
- Crusader: Another favorite of modern novels ( especially SciFi and paranormal). A modern female hero with a street smart, ass-kicking, take-no-prisoners vibe! If you ain’t with her, then you’re against her! Buffy ( natch) and Xena are 2 examples.
Have fun creating your fab female hero!